Friday, September 29, 2006

School Is Gonna Start Early For Me I Guess...

Just came back from the World Skills Singapore breifing. About 24 students from SIT were chosen. I think they are all from either DBI or DIT. It was kinda interesting to see what the prospects were. If I manage to make the first cut I will be facing alot of certification tests to show that I know what I'm doing.

Had to choose between either IT/Software Applications or IT/Network Support. I chose to go for network support as it involved putting together PCs, managing servers, system security (I think) and system admin. It's the heavier of the 2 skills. Software applications just requires expert knowledge and execution of key Microsoft Office Tools. Seems easy but trust me, it's not.

In case you didn't know, they will be training us for World Skills Singapore 2008. That's 2 freakin' years. In that time, I need to know how to use Windows and Linux server OS, a bunch of Cisco networking stuff including certification and a whole lot more. But my first test will start next week. For 1 and a half weeks, I'll be in school working my butt off from 9 to 5 and there will be an elimination test at the end of the whole thing.

Hope I can get over that hurdle 'cause after that there's more eliminations which will lead to World Skills Singapore in 2008 which will then lead to The World Skills Competition in Canada in 2009.

Sidenote: I think I have a rough estimate of how much the school might be sponsoring me for all these training sessions/workshops, certifications and performance enhancements. There's 4 certifications, a whole bunch of workshops/training sessions and 2 performance enhancement workshops (and 1 of them is that darn Adam Khoo workshop. Thank God it's just performance enhancement and not "I'm Gifted And So Are You!") which adds up to about a cool $10,000 to about $13,000. Cool...