Sunday, May 10, 2009

5:12 PM / 10 May

I learnt an important thing yesterday night. I was having supper with my dad and we spent the time talking about his bachelor years. From his first attempts at finding a job to his life in the army. The dilemma he had when he had to choose between Malaysia and Singapore during the separation.

On the way back, he told me something that made a lot of sense. His dad, my late grandfather, always told him "Kalau tak ada duit, nak pergi dari sini ke Geylang pun jauh. Tapi kalau ada duit, nak pergi dari sini ke Penang pun dekat." Translated it means, "When we have no money, to travel just to Geylang would be far. With money however, even Penang is near."

Not to be money-minded or anything, but this actually makes a lot of sense. As much as I try not to be a paper chaser and money maker, we will continuously need money. It's just the nature of it. Okay, now someone gimme a job.